The first impression of a home is the biggest – and usually happens before prospective buyers even park their car at the curb. If you're preparing to sell your home, be sure to spruce up the exterior. And now's a good time to do it, because spring and summer are the busiest selling seasons.
The main goal is to add instant curb appeal without breaking the bank (or your back). Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Front door: The quickest way to make your home stand out is by painting your front door a fun, bright color. Choose an inviting shade that complements the exterior - and for some added style, install decorative house numbers or a vintage mail slot.
- Front porch: Create a relaxing spot on the front porch; not only does it make use of vacant space, but instantly adds charm. Two rocking chairs and a bistro table will do just the trick, or if you’re up for another project, refurbish an old glider and side table.
- Landscaping: This can be as easy, or as hard, as you’d like it to be. Landscaping has endless options, which ultimately depends on the size of your home. For a quaint home, adding a few flower boxes to the main windows will quickly add some color and instant charm. For larger homes, planting a few trees and shrubs will enhance the ambiance of your home. Whichever design you choose, be sure to include some perennial plants that will come back year after year. Prospective buyers always appreciate that.
- Accents: Small, detailed accents can make a big impact and provide a great return on curb appeal. Accentuate the architectural design of your home by adding lights along the front path, decorative flowerpots on the steps, or an ornate doorbell to the freshly painted door.
- Remove clutter: Arriving at a home with odds and ends strewn across the yard raises an instant red flag to prospective buyers, and implies that the interior of the home is at least as bad. By keeping the exterior of your home tidy, you'll easily draw buyers who are eager to see more great features inside.
Like A Hawke,
Please check out my current listings and together we'll discover your real estate needs. If you know anyone buying or selling I'd love to help them! You can follow me on Twitter: @susanhawkesells Instagram: @susanhawke Pinterest: @SusanHawke Facebook Page: Susan Hawke Remax Sales Representative Sault Ste. Marie Ontario Canada