Thursday 19 September 2013

Squash Chickpea Red Lentil Soup




This soup is a meal! Perfect for a fall day. I used all fresh organic veggies for this.

I doubled this recipe so I could share some with family. It would also be great to make extra and freeze for one of those days when you don’t have time to cook or just don’t feel like cooking.
Ingredients:

1 1/2 cup dried chickpeas (or use 3 large cans of Organic Chick Peas) 
4 pounds squash, (peeled, seeded and cubed) I used 2 acorn and 1 kabocha 
4 large carrots, peeled and cut into approximately 1/2-inch pieces 
1 small can tomato paste (or homemade) 
1 large onion, diced 2 cup red lentils 
8 - 10 cups vegetable broth ( I used homemade broth that I had in the freezer 
2 tablespoon fresh ginger minced 
1 tablespoon fresh garlic minced 
2 tablespoons ground cumin 
2 teaspoons allspice 
1 ½ teaspoons cardamom 
 Salt and pepper to taste 1/4 cup lime juice bottled or ½ cup fresh lime juice

Soak chickpeas in enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches for 6 hours or overnight. (check package for a quick soak method.. Bring to a full boil. Remove from heat and let stand for about an hour or until tender. If desired use well rinsed, canned chickpeas.

In large pot place a small amount of olive oil. Saute onion, garlic and ginger for a few minutes. Add chickpeas, squash, carrots, lentil, broth, tomato past, cumin, allspice, cardamom


Cover and cook on stove over medium high heat for about 2 hours. Add lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. You can also place all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on medium for about 6 hours.
I like my soup blended, so I used an immersion blender to blend all ingredients to a nice creamy soup. Add more vegetable stock if desired.
I served with peanuts and cilantro on top.

Like A Hawke,
Susan

Please check out my current listings and together we'll discover your real estate needs. If you know anyone buying or selling I'd love to help them! You can follow me on Twitter: @susanhawkesells Instagram: @susanhawke Pinterest: @SusanHawke Facebook Page: Susan Hawke Remax Sales Representative Sault Ste. Marie Ontario Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment